Superintendent of Schools
The office of the Superintendent provides professional leadership and guidance for the county system of public education and carries out the policies, procedures, and duties authorized by law, State Board of Education, and the School Board of Highlands County. This office provides central support to all schools as well as the administrative offices. The goals of the Superintendent's Office are as follows:
- To facilitate the development and implementation of the best possible educational practices;
- To facilitate the development and implementation of the best possible curriculum for students;
- To assist Principals and Administrators in implementing those practices, as well as meeting requirements established by law and regulations;
- To ensure that Principals and Administrators are informed on current issues and on the plans or actions of Federal and State government.
The Deputy Superintendent provides assistance to the Superintendent of Schools, Assistant Superintendents, Directors, School Administrators, and Department Managers regarding school-related issues and concerns. This office serves as the Superintendent’s designee for administrative matters to include personnel misconduct, internal affairs, and district safety programs. The Deputy Superintendent also serves as the district equity coordinator and oversees the following departments:
- Human Resources
- Management Information Systems
The office of Business Operations manages business-oriented departments of the Highlands County Schools. The goal is to provide resources and support for administrators, teachers, and educational support personnel as they strive to provide students an opportunity to learn.
The department of Student Services covers services including all areas of Exceptional Student Education, as well as student discipline and attendance, student health services, MTSS, psychologists and social workers.
The department covers all elementary curriculum, overseeing the elementary principals and assistant principals as well as the curriculum specialists, Federal Programs and ESOL.
The department covers all secondary curriculum, overseeing secondary principals and assistant principals as well as curriculum specialists, Highlands Virtual School, Highlands Career Institute, Career and Technical Education and Assessment and Accountability.