Athletic Coaching Requirements
Newly Hired Coaches
All newly hired coaches must complete all new hire processes, including drug and background/fingerprint screenings; all fees are the responsibility of the new hire coach. New hire coaches are not permitted to be on any field, in any gym, or in contact with any students until all processing clearances have been received and the school administrator has been notified. It is the responsibility of the school administrator or athletic director to notify the newly hired coach when they are cleared to report to duty.
- All newly hired coaches must apply for a Florida Department of Education Athletic Coaching Certificate and incur the required $75 application fee to be eligible for an athletic coaching supplement. The Florida Department of Education will issue an initial three-year non-renewable Temporary Athletic Coaching Certificate. As per Florida Statute 1012.55(2), all athletic coaches must complete three (3) coaching courses within the temporary certificate validity period to be eligible for a five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate.
One course must be completed per academic school year to be eligible to continue as a paid supplemental coach the following academic school year.
The three courses are as follows:
- Care & Prevention of Athletic Injuries - online course through Human Kinetics Coach Education Center; certificate of completion must be submitted to Human Resources upon completion for course credit
- CPR & First Aid Certification - In addition to the Care and Prevention of Athletic Injuries, you must complete a CPR and First Aid certification course from an approved agency. Attached is a list of approved agencies.
- Coaching Theory – online course through Human Kinetics; certificate of completion must be submitted to Human Resources upon completion for course credit
- Theory and Practice of Coaching a Specific Sport - online course through Human Kinetics; certificate of completion must be submitted to Human Resources upon completion for course credit.
All current coaches who hold a five-year Athletic Coaching Certificate must complete either a basic online coaching course (Coaching Orientation) or provide verification of coaching conference registration/attendance, relative to the sport assigned, prior to certificate renewal. Contact Human Resources at 863-471-5730 for certificate renewal assistance.
The following must be received to be eligible to continue as a paid supplemental coach the following academic school year and prior to certificate expiration:
- Complete an online application for your Five-Year Athletic Coaching Certificate, including a $75 application fee, at Human Kinetics, prior to your expiration date and notify Human Resources when you have applied.
- Copies of valid CPR & First Aid certification cards