Thank you for your interest in becoming a substitute for the School Board of Highlands County. Substitutes provide a valuable service to our community students and schools. Working as a substitute is often feasible for those pursing a degree in education, parents with children in school, retirees, or anyone desiring a flexible work schedule.
Substitutes are considered “at will” employees and do not hold a contracted position with the School Board of Highlands County. Work assignments in a substitute capacity and receipt of any training materials and/or policy and procedural manuals does not constitute an offer of permanent employment by the School Board of Highlands County, and the relationship is terminable “at will” by either the School Board of Highlands County or the substitute.
How To Become A Substitute:
1. Complete the online application for employment.
- Within the online application, apply for the online substitute vacancy on the "Vacancy Desired" page by clicking the "Submit Application" button to apply successfully.
2. Once the vacancy has closed, all eligible applicants will be notified, via email, reflected in the online application submitted, of the next step to begin the substitute process.
3. The following onboarding fees are the responsibility of the applicant:
- Fingerprinting / Background Screening
- Drug Screening
- Online Substitute Training
4. As per Florida Statute 1012.35, training must be completed by all substitutes. The required training for the School Board of Highlands County include:
- Online 20-Hour, 5 Module Coursework
- On-site Classroom Observation
5. All requirements listed above must be successfully completed prior to being activated as a Substitute.
6. Substitutes who successfully complete the onboarding process will be approved for a three (3) year validity period.
Substitute Daily Rate of Pay:
The following schedule applies to SBHC approved substitute. Every substitute must have in their personnel file one of the following:
- Valid SBHC Substitute Certificate
- Valid Educator's Certificate
- Valid Statement of Status of Eligibility (SOE) issued by the FLDOE
- Transcripts conferring a Bachelor's Degree or Higher from an accredited institute.
The individual's daily rate of pay is based on the level of educational training completed and/or requirements of specific assignment.
2017-2018 INSTRUCTIONAL ASSIGNMENT LEVEL & DAILY RATE:
- $70 per day - High School Diploma
- $74 per day - Associate Degree
- $84 per day - Bachelor's Degree
Long-Term Substitutes (20+ continuous days in single classroom assignment):
- $124 per day - Bachelor's (or higher) Degree Substitute (Effective 1/4/16)
- $164 per day - Certified Educator Substitute
Substitutes filling a non-instructional contracted position will be paid at the entry level (0 years of experience), hourly rate for the clerk I position. These positions include all clerical, paraprofessional, part-time employees or emergency personnel. Non-Instructional substitutes will be guaranteed a minimum of a half day's compensation for the position assigned.
Note: For further information, please refer to the board approved Salary Schedule located under Finance.
Substitute Minimum Requirements - To Keep Sub Status Active:
- Keep substitute certificate valid by meeting all district requirements
- Work at least three (3) days during "Each 9 Week" grading period (45 days)
- Report for duty at the assigned location on the correct date/time - 2 or more No Shows within a 9 week grading period will result in inactivation/termination
- Answer and accept calls if available for work - 50 Do Not Answers/Hang-ups will result in inactivation/termination
- DO NOT CANCEL Jobs once accepted unless in emergency situation - 5 or more cancelled assignments within a 9 week grading period will result in inactivation/termination